Help & FAQ
Help & FAQ
- Getting started
- How do I register?
You can register directly in the app. You must be at least 21 years of age and have held an EU driving license for a minimum of one year. Be ready with your ID card, EU driving license, and your payment method: this can be either your credit card or your PayPal account. Simply follow the instructions and you’ll be on the road in no time.
You’ll be redirected to a video call if you have an old version of a driving license or if your ID is not clearly legible. We’ve saved a tutorial for you here.
- What are my payment options?
It’s up to you: you can pay with either your credit card or your PayPal account. The advantage of PayPal is that it includes multiple types of payment — you can choose in your account to pay with credit card or by direct debit. Simple, secure, fast? Check!
You can also change your payment method directly in the app menu under “Personal details” > “Payment method”.
- Starting your rental
- The car is dirty or damaged
Oh, that’s annoying. Click on “report damage” during your reservation to see if the damage has been reported before and follow the guidelines in the app to report any new damage. Should the car not be roadworthy, please call us directly.
- How do I start the car?
Push the brake pedal down and press the start button. Now the engine is running and you’re good to go.
- Can I bring the kids?
Of course! We provide a booster seat (4-12 years, 15-36 kg) in every e-Golf, so you and your kid can jump in anytime. If you want to drive with several and/or smaller children, please bring a suitable child seat with you.
- Can I bring pets?
Unfortunately, they’ll need to stay outside.
- Connecting your mobile phone
Yes, it's easy! Simply connect your phone via Bluetooth to the e-Golf by activating your smartphone’s Bluetooth. In the infotainment display of the e-Golf, select Home -> Phone -> Search phone -> Show results and then just select your phone. You may have to confirm the connection on your mobile phone. If you don't want to do this, you can also just connect using the USB interface. For this, you’ll need the Apple CarPlay App or the Android Auto App in addition to the appropriate cable. You can read more about this here.
- Driving your e-Golf
- Starting and driving
- Hold down the brake pedal with your foot and press the “Start Engine” button.
- Move the gear stick from Neutral (N) into Drive (D) or Reverse (R). Push the gas pedal to move the car.
- You can save energy while driving by putting the gear stick in position B. This mode charges the battery whenever you lift your foot off the gas.
- Daily rentals
Good news: You can rent a WeShare car for up to 72 hours drive as much as you like without any mileage limit. Simply start your rental and keep driving – we automatically cap your fare at the maximum daily limit. Remember to choose “Stopover” to lock your car without ending your rental.
- Leaving the city
Feel free to drive outside of the city – just remember you’ll need to end your rental within the operating area. And don’t forget that you will need an internet connection to lock and unlock the car.
Here are some tips for planning your trip:
- You can charge the car for free at any of the charging stations shown in the Plugsurfing app (available for iOS & Android). Download it before you leave.
- When you open the Plugsurfing app, look for the green pins to find vacant charging stations.
- Fast charging stations let you charge the car quickly. Look for stations that are 50kW or more.
- Pay attention to the cars’ signals when the battery is getting low.
- Save battery by driving with the gear stick in the B position.
- Can I travel across international borders?
You are not allowed to cross the border with your e-Golf. Within Germany you can go wherever you want.
- Where can I park?
You can park wherever parking is permitted. However, you’ll always need to end your rental within the operating area. Please make sure that there are no restrictions (i.e. a no stopping zone) on the parking space for the next 72 hours. And remember: you will need an internet connection to lock and unlock the car. That’s why you’re not allowed to leave the car in garages or underground garages.
- Using the Parking Assistant
- What about stopovers?
Activate the “Stopover” mode in the app. Doing so locks the car. Leave the vehicle, do your thing and come back whenever you want. Ending the park mode unlocks the car doors, and you can continue driving.
You can park for free at Berlin airports.
At the new Berlin Brandenburg BER airport the car sharing parking areas are located on the car parks P56 and P4. P56 is close to terminal 5, P4 is near terminal 1/2. More information here.
You do not need an extra parking ticket. When entering or leaving, drive very slowly towards the barrier and a sensor next to the barrier will detect the chip in the windshield. The barriers will then open automatically.
In Schönefeld (SXF) you can find the parking space for car sharing vehicles in the northern part of parking lot P6.
In Tegel (TXL) you can park at the rental car center on the top floor of the car park P2.
- Charging the car
We'll take care of the charging for you. But if you want to give it a try, earn credits or simply stay on the road longer, you can totally charge yourself for no extra cost.
The WeShare app shows you all suitable charging stations directly in the app while your rental is running. The free "Plugsurfing" app shows you all the charging stations throughout Germany, in case you want drive further.
Important: Please make sure to charge only at the charging stations that can be found in our app (during your rental) or the Plugsurfing app.
- Where to charge
There are two possibilities: Either you download the "Plugsurfing“ app. It always shows you all charging stations in Germany - there you can also see what type of charging station it is and whether there is a free power outlet for you.
Or you can search for a free station directly in the WeShare app. Just check at the map in the app once you started your rental and you will see the available charging stations.
Tap on the green pin for more details. This works within a radius of 50 km around Berlin.
No matter which option you choose, charging is always free of any cost. Please make sure to charge only at the charging stations that can be found in our app (during your rental) or in the Plugsurfing app. And: Please do not use the apps while driving. Stay safe!
- How to charge
Is the charging cable already attached to the charging station? If so, it’s a CCS fast charging station. Just follow the instructions under “Fast Charging”.
Otherwise, this is how it works:
1. Take the charging card out of the card slot in the glove box.
2. Get the charging cable from the trunk.
3. Connect the larger plug to the car.
4. Hold the card against the charging station.
5. Connect the smaller plug to the AC socket in the charging station. The cable will be locked in place and the charging session starts.
6. Put the card back into the glove box in the upper card slot.
7. Don’t forget the parking timer!
- Fast charging
CSS type quick chargers recharge your e-Golf in a crisp 45 minutes. The WeShare app or the "Plugsurfing" app show you where such charging stations are located.
Simply follow the instructions below:
1. Take the charging card out of the card slot in the glove box.
2. Open the charging socket on the car and remove the plastic cover.
3. Hold the card against the charging station.
4. Connect the CCS cable from the charging station to the vehicle. The cable will be locked in place and the charging session starts (you’ll see green LED lights next to the socket).
5. Put the card back into the glove box in the upper card slot.
6. Don’t forget the parking timer!
- How to unplug
Unlock the car and first remove the cable from the vehicle.
If the cable can’t be disconnected, press the "Unlock" button next to the door handle on the driver's side.
- How long does it take to charge?
With AC charging stations, also known as Type-2 stations, a complete charge takes about five hours.
With a fast-charging DC or CCS stations (where the cable is attached directly to the charging station), charging only takes 45 minutes.
- How can I earn credits?
Get credits by charging or unplugging
Don't be afraid of charging stations - they are worth it!
If you charge the e-Golf, we will reward you with €5 credits. That's how it works:
- You start your trip with a vehicle with a range of less than 50 km, or you reach a range of less than 50 km on your tour - both scenarios are possible.
- You can charge at any of the public charging stations that can be found through the “Plugsurfing” app at no extra costs.
- At the end of your trip, you plug the e-Golf to a public charging station (you can find out how to do this under "Charging")
- Then you end the rental. */**
You can also earn credits, if you unplug the e-Golf from the public charging station at the start of your trip. For this we will reward you with €2 credits. That’s how it works:
- You start your rental with a car that is plugged at the public charging station.
- You unplug the vehicle from the public charging station (you can find out how to do this infos “Unplug the charging cable”).
- Afterwards start your journey and end it at another point (driving in a circle does not count).
Your credits are valid for 90 days and are automatically redeemed on your next trip. Happy charging!
* Ending your rental at private parking lots is forbidden.
** Charging at private charging stations is forbidden and you will not be earned credits.
- Price per ride
We’ll charge you €0.19 per minute and a €1 unlock fee per rental. Stopovers cost you €0,05 per minute.
- Maximum day fare
Maximum daily rental will not exceed €48 plus the €1 unlock fee. You can rent a car for up to 3 days (72 hours) without any mileage limit. This means our automatic pricing will be effective a total three times – which makes it 3x€48 plus €1 per rental. If you want to park during your journey, remember to use the stopover button to lock your car, instead of ending the rental.
- If something goes wrong
- Had an accident?
The priority in case of an accident is to get yourself to safety, and to provide first aid if necessary. If it’s possible, secure the scene of the accident, and call the police as soon as you can. Then call customer support via the help button in the WeShare app or on +49 30 240 202 10 and we’ll tell you what to do next.
- Am I insured?
You are always on the safe side with us. In addition, we charge € 1 for each rent - so we can reduce the excess in the event of damage from € 1,050 to € 450. This results in a reduction of liability for damage to the We Share vehicle in your favor, which corresponds to a fully comprehensive insurance including partial coverage with a deductible, as stated in our terms and conditions. The sum insured is up to € 15 million per injured person in case of personal injury.
- Speeding tickets and other fines
Even though we strongly recommend that you obey the traffic rules while driving with WeShare, we’re all human and mishaps can happen. In the event of this happening, you don't need to do anything – we’ll deal with the authorities and get in touch with you regarding the details. Here are the most common driving offence fees at a glance:
- Processing of parking offences: €15
- Processing of administrative offences, traffic offences, warnings and violations of the terms and conditions: €15
- Processing of towing operations (per offense, plus further debiting of the third party’s towing invoice): €50
- You can find the full list of fees for everything that could possibly go wrong while driving here.
- Lost property
Just call our customer service team on +49 30 240 202 10 or press the phone button in the app; we'll help as best we can to get your things back. Also, if you yourself find anything in a vehicle while driving it, please inform us - another member will be grateful for your help.
- My phone has died!
No big deal. If you have a charging cable with you, you can charge your mobile phone easily and conveniently via the USB socket in your car. If not, you can call customer service on +49-30-240 202 10 from any other phone, and they will end the rental for you.
- Why can’t I end my rental?
If you are unable to end your booking, please call our customer service. Just tap the phone symbol in the app or dial +49 30 240 202 10 – and our customer service will end the rental for you.
You might check these points first, then your problem may solve itself:
- Is the engine really off?
- All doors and windows closed?
- Is the loading card in its upper slot in the glove box?
- Is the car within the business area?
- Does your phone have reception?
WeShare is waiting for you. Our app is available in your store.